2021 General Auditions
We hold General Auditions once per year, after that year’s season is announced. These are comprised of five-minute slots in which actors are invited to show an example of their work. From there, callback lists are generated on a per-show basis. We ensure BIPOC representation in all casting rooms, in addition to representation of other identities specific to each play in all callback rooms.
2021-2022 SEASON GENERALS
For the 2021-2022 season, in-person general auditions will be held in five-minute time slots September 11-14 at ArtsWest for those vaccinated and not requiring social distancing. Video submissions will also be accepted for anyone unable to audition in person or those who would require social distancing. Our audition spaces do not accommodate social distancing and we appreciate everyone’s support as we ensure safety for all involved.
Your five minutes are yours to use however you see fit – one long monologue, two short monologues, a monologue and a song, or any combination thereof. Please be sure to limit your material to five minutes. Two sessions will be reserved for auditions that include singing and will have an accompanist available. Please note that the only open roles in this season that require singing are Black women.
For musical auditions, feel free to sing from any genre you feel shows who you are as an artist. Selections from outside the musical theater canon are welcome!
MONSTERS OF THE AMERICAN CINEMAA World PremiereJanuary 27 – February 20, 2022by Christian St. CroixREMY WASHINGTON37, he/him. Black and Gay. An aging activist who runs a drive-in movie theater in Santee, CA. Remy leads his two-male household with a dry and loving sense of humor, but he knows when to drop the “cool dad” vibe and command respect. He's deliberately unrefined and not particularly interested in extravagance or luxury. His working class roots should be obvious in style and dress. He may or may not have tattoos.PETER “PUP” MILLER16, he/him. White and Straight. Remy's charge. An aspiring filmmaker. Little more than a kid with a camcorder as of now. Pup's an awkward collection of nerves and hormones. He's growing into a set of prom-king good looks, but he hasn't quite left his adolescent geek phase behind. Fueled by peer pressure, he's learned how to successfully mimic a Cali bro style of speaking when around his friends. He sprouts a little chin stubble.THIS GIRL LAUGHS, THIS GIRL CRIES, THIS GIRL DOES NOTHINGA Seattle PremiereMarch 17 – April 10, 2022by Finegan Kruckemeyer
ALBIENNE, the oldest sister
BEATRIX, the middle sister
CARMEN, the youngest sister
ENSEMBLE, many rolesALMAA Seattle PremiereMay 5 – May 22, 2022by Benjamin BenneALMA34, she/her, Mexicana, an undocumented immigrant living in the US. As a young mom, she’s had to grow up quickly but never quite matured into the role.ANGEL17, she/her, Alma’s daughter, a US citizen. A high school senior with a bad case of senioritis.miku, and the godsA World PremiereJune 16 – July 3, 2022by Julia Izumi
12, she/her, Japanese-American
EPHRAIM K. RIVERS 1
4, he/him, Jewish-Peruvian-American
67, she/her, Japanese
millennia-old, he/him. A minor Sumerian god of war and a beautician.
ONE WHO IS WISE
age unknown, she/they/?
HERE THERE BE DRAGONSA World Premiere Song CycleJuly 28 – August 28, 2022Co-Produced by The Hansberry Project
Ensemble of 3-4 Black female singers.
Saturday, September 11, 10am-2pm (SINGING)
Saturday, September 11, 2:30pm-6pm (MONOLOGUES)
Sunday, September 12, 10am-2pm (MONOLOGUES)
Sunday, September 12, 2:30pm-6pm (SINGING)
Monday, September 13, 2pm-10pm (MONOLOGUES)
Tuesday, September 14, 12pm-8pm (MONOLOGUES)
You are invited to self-select a time slot that works for you here for in-person auditions. Click here to schedule an audition! Please select a musical audition if you are intending on singing. Once you’ve scheduled an audition, you’ll receive an email from Sara Porkalob, Casting Associate, with further instructions. If you are interested in submitting a video audition rather than scheduling an in-person audition, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
HEADSHOTS AND RESUMES
The traditional demand for hard copy headshots is never a requirement to audition at ArtsWest. This year, we are interested in a paperless, contactless process, so you’ll be invited to submit your headshot and resume electronically after you schedule your audition.
SEASON GENERALS COVID-19 PROTOCOLS
- We don’t require proof of vaccination to attend generals, though proof of vaccination will be necessary if you are offered a contract.
- Auditionees will enter through the front of the building and exit through the back, so they should be sure to carry their belongings with them.
- There will be nothing for the auditionee to fill out or hand in – all they have to do is give their name to the audition monitor.
- We will limit the number of auditionees in the lobby to eight, with some additional seating available outdoors. Auditionees are asked to remain six feet apart at all times.
- The casting associate, artistic director, and audition monitor will remain masked throughout the day.
- All auditionees should remain masked until their audition. If the auditionee is more comfortable leaving their mask on during their audition as well, they are welcome to do so!
- Auditions will take place in the theater, with ample, well-ventilated space, with the casting associate and artistic director seated approximately 16 feet away from the auditionee and 6 feet from each other.
- After their audition, auditionees can mask up and exit through the back of the building.