You Make a Difference at ArtsWest
Note for your 2020 Taxes – Donation Tax Summary letters have been sent to all individuals and corporations that donated $250 or more during the 2020 Calendar Year. Please note that this amount only reflects gifts made directly to ArtsWest, and do not include gifts made through any donor-advised fund, IRA rollover, or charitable distribution. For questions regarding these gifts please contact your fund manager.
If you did not receive your letter or have questions, please contact Laura Lee at email@example.com.
THANK YOU for your 2020 Donations in what has been an unprecedented year. We are greatly appreciative!
Every donation helps ArtsWest produce artistic events that provoke conversation, incite the imagination and use live theater as a powerful agent of change. Less than 50% of our operating revenue comes from our ticket proceeds. We rely on the generosity of our donors to allow us to do the work we do!
How can you donate?
- Thru this website by clicking on the blue donate button below.
- By mailing in a check to us, c/o Development Officer, ArtsWest, 4711 California Ave. SW, Seattle, WA, 98116.
- In person at the Box Office during our public hours, Thursdays – Saturdays 2-7:30 pm OR in the admin offices Monday thru Friday, 10am to 6pm.
- Thru your donor advised funds. A donor advised fund is an irrevocable charity fund that you can set up with certain banks or financial firms to facilitate and provide flexibility in your charitable giving. Generally you fund the charity account with a lump sum that will be donations paid over years. You get the tax deduction the year that you fund the charity account, again increasing the likelihood of exceeding the standard deduction in that year and potentially providing additional tax savings. The flexibility is that you can invest the funds while in the charity account, and distribute the funds for donations over any length of time and to multiple charities.
- Thru stock, mutual funds and/or ETFs that you have held for at least one year, and you will realize special tax advantages. Donors can receive a tax deduction for the full market value of the gift while avoiding capital gains tax on the appreciation. (ArtsWest has a special donation form for gifts of securities)
- Apply for a matching gift if your company provides a matching program.
- Individuals over 70½ years old must take a minimum distribution every year from their IRA. If it is a traditional IRA (not a Roth IRA), the distribution is taxed as income. However, if you direct your traditional IRA to make a distribution directly to a non-profit (such as ArtsWest), that amount counts towards your minimum distribution but is not taxed as personal income.
- Batching! The new IRS tax law established new, higher standard deductions—$12,000 for single filers, $24,000 for married couples, and $18,000 for heads of household. There is an additional $1,300 for each married taxpayer and $1,600 for unmarried taxpayers who are over 65, as well as a per child deduction. If you plan on making some sizable donations over the next two or three years, you could consider doing so in a lump sum, or “bunching” them, in one year. This will increase the likelihood of exceeding the standard deduction in that year and thus potentially providing additional tax savings.
**Before making any financial decisions it is important to consult a tax and/or financial advisor to make sure you do so properly and to your greatest advantage.
Why give? the ways we intend to put your support to work!
Each year, ArtsWest presents a full mainstage theatre season in our 149-seat space. We select challenging, progressive plays designed to spark conversation about relevant topics. Your support helps us offer pay-what-you can preview performances for all mainstage productions, free or discounted tickets for other nonprofit organizations and individuals in need, and general ticket prices that makes the ArtsWest theatre experience accessible to everyone! Your support also helps produce our FIRST LOOK events, which are free and open to the public. Click here to see our current theatre offerings.
The Runnings Family Gallery at ArtsWest provides community members, theatre patrons, and art enthusiasts with an opportunity to experience high quality, contemporary visual art. Each year, ArtsWest produces exhibitions featuring professional Pacific Northwest artists, providing these artists with an opportunity to showcase their work. Your support helps ensure the Gallery remains free and open to the public. ArtsWest hosts receptions and Artist Talks with each exhibition, and participates in the West Seattle ArtWalk the second Thursday of each month. Click here to learn more about our current exhibition season.
ArtsWest believes that learning is a life long adventure, and as such, we focus on education that spans generations.
Our First Looks into each production, StageNotes classes, and MIND THE GAP are our three current educational offerings.
ArtsWest also offers comprehensive, full-time and part-time apprentice programs for high school, undergraduate, graduate students, and recent graduates from around Seattle and the country. ArtsWest is dedicated to creating apprenticeship opportunities that maximize an apprentice’s specific skill set and developing future professionals in their chosen field.